This is the first of what will be a weekly list of music that I recommend, the list will be unbiased and I will do my best to cover all genres. The idea is that I dig through this week’s new releases so you don’t have to.
Compiling such a list will hopefully provide a handy update on what’s worth listening to each week, and as well as this, help to expand people’s own musical horizons, develop tastes and shine a little light on artists that I believe deserve more recognition.
Of course if I ever miss anything that people believe is worth noting, feel free to respond to this article in the comments section.
I’ll start off with my two favourite tracks of the week.
- Sampha – Under
Just overtaking Mac Demarco’s new releases, my favourite track of the week, ‘Under, is taken off Sampha’s newly released album ‘Process’. The track’s boiler room style production paired with it’s thought-provoking lyrics and soothing vocals invite intrigue to the rest of the album and make this song definitely worthy of your listening.
- Mac Demarco – ‘My Old Man’
Mac Demarco returned this week with two new singles ‘My Old Man’ and ‘This Old Dog’. As per usual, Mac Demarco’s new music oozes with chilled out vibes. Mac Demarco has sold out Dublin’s Vicar Street later this year but for those that missed out on tickets, we can look forward to his upcoming album, to be released on May 5th.
Other singles worthy of your listening this week.
- Stormzy – Big for Your Boots
- Grim Sickers feat. JME – Kane
If you’re planning on getting into UK Grime this week, this would be a good start.
- The Him, LissA – I Wonder
- Big Sean, Eminem – No Favors
If you’re one of those people that likes to brush their hair and listen to Drake, this is definitely for you.
- Elbow – Head for Supplies
- Future Islands – Ran
- Tom Joshua – Meteor Showers
- Cold War Kids – Love is Mystical
- Digital Farm Aniamls, Hailee Steinfeld – Digital Love
- Liv Dawson – Searching
- Cosima – To Build A House
- Arian Grande, John Legend – Beauty and the Beast
Beauty and the Beast!!
- Pat Lok, Claire Ridgley – Crystal Ball
- Tough Love – Dopamine
- Depeche Mode – Where’s the Revolution
- Nickelback – Feed the Machine, purely because they don’t let the haters get them down.
This list will be updated weekly and can be found on Spotify at: https://open.spotify.com/user/1164882992/playlist/7E4bIzVkG471NTz8SZmBcK
Words: Dan Ryan